Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where has the year gone?!

It seems like just yesterday I was posting about our trip to visit daddy last spring - and to my horror I just realized that I haven't provided an update for my loyal readers for half a year!

2008 has been a little rough for us; life without daddy has been difficult and living apart for so long has started to take it's toll. But despite the obvious hardships, I'm so happy to share with you that Jacobi has made some great strides this year, and continues to grow into an amazing young man.

Last week was Halloween, and we were blessed with a visit home by daddy. Jake was very excited to see his dad, and started planning for the reunion by shopping for Halloween decorations whenever we went to the store. By the time Randy got here we had indoor decorations, out door decorations, costumes, and candy buckets. Jake was ready to go!

This year when I asked Jake what he wanted to be for Halloween, I was a little surprised by his answer. I had expected him to say he wanted to be Sponge Bob, or maybe a pinata (after his favorite video game, Viva Pinata). But as we were looking through the costume catalog and I flipped to the super hero section, Jake spotted a picture of the new dark batman and shouted with glee "Batman! Jake is batman!"
"Really?" I asked, "Are you sure?"
"YES! BATMAN!," Jake replied.
"But Jake, if you go as batman you have to wear the batman MASK - and that goes on your head like a hat. Are you SURE you're going to be able to do that?"
"YES!" he shouted.

I had my doubts. At nearly 7, he's never been able to tolerate anything on his head. In fact he has never been able to wear anything on his head other then a light hood. Even when dressing him, if I take too long getting his shirt over his head he freaks out, so I highly doubted he was going to put this batman mask ON, let alone wear it for an hour or two of trick-or-treating.
But after conferring with his dad it was decided that I would purchase the costume that Jake picked out, and we'd just see what happened.

Finally the big night arrived, and as the sun went down Jake and I started to get our costumes on. When I came down the stairs I was greeted by daddy helping Jake button his cape - with the Batman mask securely over his head. As soon as the cape was latched, he ran up the stairs to check himself in the mirror!

Not only did Jake wear his Batman costume, but he trick-or-treated for nearly an hour, skipping and running and singing, and joyously waiting for the next person to open their door so he could say "TRICK OR TREAT!"

His reward for his big Halloween adventure was some much needed time with his dad in a fairly social setting, and coming home with a great big bucket of candy. Of course he won't eat it, but he got it, darn it!

No comments: